Ships Log
July 24, 2005

Milwaukee to Sheboygan

We checked the local radar by WiFi and found the coast clear. However,
the expected land temperatures for the day were to be over 100 degrees
and the offcoast wind over 25 knots.
So, we cast off lines at 8:30 AM and headed North.
There was a strong cross wind, so we had trouble getting out of the
slip. The Lady in the neighboring yacht came out to handle the bow line
and we got away cleanly.
As we left the marina, we saw a footrace passing the Art Museum. So, we
sailed on down for a closer look.

In anticipation of high winds, we set only the mizzen and head sails
(sailing jib&jigger). When we reached open water, we glad we did because
the winds and waves were high.
What was exciting was that we were surfing! Our hull speed is
calculated to be 7.5 knots and our average speed over the bottom was between 7.8
and 7.9 knots. Which for us is really flying.
With an air temperature in the mid 80's and plenty of wind, it was most
comfortable (excerpt for the flies). However, occasionally we would get
a furnace blast from the land.
Our intention was to sail to Manitowoc, but a thunderstorm was
building. So, we ducked into Sheboygan. As we approached, we could hear
strains of exotic music from shore. It was not classical, jazz or rock. We
happened to arrive in the midst of the St. Spyridon Greek Festival. Under
a large tent in the middle of a parched field, gathered the local Greek
community watching Greek bands and costumed dancers. The temperature
was well in excess of 100 degrees, but the dancing was joyous and
spirited. Gallons of beer and quantities of gyros, solvlaki, spanokopata were
consumed by the happy crowd.
We found refuge from the heat in the Harbor Lights Bars and drank free
beer provided by Scotty, a local institution. Later we took a weaving
walk along the city boardwalk.

Ships Log

July 25, 2005 #2

The museum offers the use of the nation's number one bathroom, rated for artistic achievement.

After our tour of exhibits, Rana rested in the museum chair.

Back at the marina, we visited the wreck of the Lottie Cooper . The Cooper was lost in a full gale on April 9, 1894. She was bringing 230,000 feet of elm lumber to Sheboygan from Michigan and had anchored off the lee shore waiting for dawn. The storm was so severe that she broke apart in the huge waves, losing cargo and one of her six crew. In the evening and into the morning of the 26th, we experienced similar weather and battened down the hatches and waited out the storm. We plan to depart for points north on July 27th.